Friday, May 2, 2014

At last

Ok, so it's been a while. That's life. It's been busy.

Last Tuesday, I was on my way back through St Louis, Missouri and the sky was black. It was the middle of the afternoon and the street lights were on. Gives you an idea of what was in store. The recent spat of weather systems that frequent the central US this time of year were on my mind as I dodged super cells. Fast moving systems warned about, with wind gusts up to 70 mile per hour, golf ball size hail, flash floods. Enough to blow a semi over easily. Fortunately, I got caught with only 40 mph winds and pea size hail and lots of heavy rain. Nature is fascinating though. As I drove along I-70 from St Louis, Mo, I watched both the traffic and the weather. To the north-west of me, the sky/horizon line was indistinguishable. Little cars were hiding under overpasses. They hydroplane more easily than a truck weighing 50K.

I have several weather radios on-board so I keep track of my location and listen for the warning tones that NOAA provides for alerts. I also have an phone app called RadarUS provided by NOAA, so I can visually track storms versus my destination.

I do have a dash cam but by the time I got to review the storm files, they had been over-written due to lack of memory. (a 3 minute clip takes 340 mb, total memory is about 72 minutes). So unfortunately for now, there are no clips to post with this update. I need to get a bigger SD card for that. They're pricey so this will have to wait for now.

This week, it's back to Memphis, Tn with a group of my buddies ( 3 of us in this convoy).

Meanwhile, I'm moving to new digs at the end of the month. Those who read this on a regular basis will already have the change of address notifications. Those who don't read this, don't need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment